I began today’s session by working on the sky. I added a sunbeam but then decided I wanted the blue at the top of the sky darker so added a glaze of Phthalo Blue. I had too much oil in my paint and had to fool with it a bit – blotting with a paper towel, smoothing with my finger, then adding a little more paint with less oil. In the process I got blue over the clouds and mostly lost the sunbeamt. I tried to crisp up the edges of the clouds but the colors were mixing on the canvas so I decided I’d have to leave it for now and come back to this tomorrow. I really want the sunbeam more intense and more colorful.
After that, I continued working on Patches herself, adding to and refining what I did yesterday then focusing on the right side of her face which I didn’t get to before. I worked on her nose, changing the color to add a brownish-red tone and adding a few shadows and highlights to better suggest the right eye. A little brighter red added color to her collar and tag.
I don’t think she looks sad any more. To me, she has a sweet, somewhat searching look. Perhaps she’s wondering what I’m doing! The muzzle and mouth still needs work so perhaps she will change her expression again.
When I looked at the painting last night the lower left corner bothered me so I changed the line of her back to raise it a bit. The new part of her back will need more work tomorrow to better integrate it into the rest of her body.
Patches is a little sweetheart, and tomorrow the sun will shine more brightly on her!