About six years ago I did several designs for small needlework pieces for a start-up company. One of them was these two parrots, and I thought they’d make good ACEOs. Having two birds that were a pair gave me a special idea for the ACEOs – to make a pair, but beyond that, a pair that actually continued the same scene. So I worked the two as one piece then cut them apart when I was done. I think it’s an interesting idea and I’m hoping that if someone likes one they’ll buy both.
For these pieces I used watercolor and it was a nice change to get back to that medium. I’m feeling more comfortable with it, especially in such a small format.
When I started these I intended to put a little glitter on them once they were painted, and I did just that, using Diamond Glaze to both adhere the glitter and add a nice “varnish.” Before I added the Diamond Glaze, though, I sealed the painting with a coat of Krylon Workable Fixatif. As always when I apply glitter, I applied a coat of Diamond Glaze and sprinkled it with glitter. When it was dry I then “fixed” the glitter in place with a second coat of Diamond Glaze.
I took these photos after I added the glitter. But I also took photos before. Glitter is so hard to photograph so I wanted the “before” back-up photos for the eBay listings in case the ones with the glitter weren’t good enough. And actually, the “before” photos look a little better, but the glittery ones look good in person.
And thanks again to ArtGlitter who make such gorgeous art-quality glittter.