What happened to the oh-so-blue roses? My best guess is that I took this photo under different light conditions. I did wash a little orange over the background, but that couldn’t have made this big a difference. Another possibiliy is the mysterious action of the velour paper which sometimes seems to eat pigment.
Anyway, I selected this subject for the fun it promised, and today’s painting session was finally a fun one. I always enjoy doing fur. The simple act of repeating layers of strokes of different colors magically yields fur!
The lacy dress was really easy – just a wash of cream followed by strengthening the folds and some details here and there. The pearls also were fun to do, but I see that I have them a little too cold. I underpainted them with light blue then added light gray, then cream, then finally white highlights. I’ll have to go back and add some warmer reflected light and see what that does.
I see that the left curve of the dresser top edge is lower than the right one, so I’ll have to correct that. And of course I have yet to add the other mouse and complete the rest of the pearls. I began to add a little purple here and there in the roses and I like it, so I’ll continue that as well.