It’s been difficult to find the creative energy to get back to work on entries for my SAA application, but yesterday I finally got down to it with a drawing, and today I set pastel to paper.
Last month my sister took her dog to a dog event and got several good photos of the participants having fun in the water. She was kind enough to let me use them and I selected two to combine into this composition. One photo was of the two dogs on the left intent upon a tennis ball and the other was of the lone older dog on the right.
After I completed the drawing yesterday and had it transferred to the velour paper I had serious doubts about it. I thought the dogs would be too small and there would be too much essentially blank space around them. I thought that I would have done better with just the two dogs and with the animals much bigger. But since I already had this on the paper I decided to give it a try. It seemed that it would be very important to have distinct areas within the expanse of water – not just everything the same – and have those areas be a definite part of the composition. So here’s the beginning. I’ll set it up by the tv tonight and see what I can find in it.