I have been looking forward to beginning this owl painting. I did the drawing while I was still working on the painting of the mice in the chrysanthemums. I’m using Carel’s technique again. Unfortunately, I missed my opportunity to photograph earlier stages. My first step – after I transferred my drawing – was to do the underpainting with Raw Umber, except for the mistletoe which was a mix of Raw Umber and Sap Green. Like Carel does, I used my #0 liner, most frequently working with lines but sometimes using the side of the brush for larger areas. Specifically, I used the side on the branches for a nice texture. And I also used it to shade the feathers. I notice that the chest feathers lay very smoothly over each other and form large vertical undulations. So before I began the individual feathers, I shaded to create the larger forms. After masking the owl and the moon – but not the branches or mistletoe – I used several washes to paint the sky and each wash was a slightly different color. Successive washes concentrated more and more towards the top of the paper making the lower part of the sky the lightest. Unfortunately I have a big boo-boo in the sky just to the right of the mistletoe. While I was working on the underpainting I got paint on my knuckle and smudged it on the paper. To correct that problem I painted over it with white, not thinking that it would change the way the paper takes washes, so it created this ugly blob. I’ll deal with it later somehow.