I showed a few of my friends how to construct an art doll and they wanted to make Santas. I’m not really into that and planned to make a Sherwood Forest – Anglo/Saxon times, that is – Santa. But once I put the hair on it, it became a she. So the plan changed.
I dressed her in clothing that I hoped would evoke Sherwood Forest, but upscaled a bit with the embroidery on the sleeves and the fur-trimmed cloak.
This cloak turned out really well except that its quality doesn’t really show like it should. I lined the hood and pointed details on the back (trimmed with rusty bells) with red silk, but it doesn’t show. I should have lined the rest of the cloak as well and then I think it would have been pretty spectacular. Lesson learned. No skimping.
The walking stick is a branch from one of my climbing roses, de-thorned and with the bark whittled away. The little birds are polymer clay. Her hair is wool roving. I used tiny eyelets for scrap-booking on her bodice for the cording. I still want to add an ivy branch twining around the walking stick. Maybe I can make the leaves from silk stiffened with Mod Podge. We’ll see.