Frog Bits

 
The pieces of the frog doll are now ready to paint.  On the last paper clay piece I worked on – the two ducks and the beggar frog – I gessoed the paper clay before I painted it.  The painted surface turned out a bit rough and I figure there were two possible causes for that.  One is that I didn’t sand it with a fine enough grit sandpaper.  I think I didn’t go beyond 220.  But the other possibility is that the moisture in the gesso may have slightly softened – and roughened – the surface of the dry paper clay.
 
So this time I made a couple of changes.  First, I sanded with 220 grit, then 400 grit, and finally 600 grit.  When I was done sanding it was quite smooth and I wanted to keep it that way.  So instead of using gesso as an undercoat for the painting I used Krylon spray Workable Fixatif.  Once the fixative was dry, the surface was still very smooth.  So I’ve got quite a nice base for the painting.
 
The thing I liked so much about the gesso was that it was such a nice surface to paint on.  Floating was a dream!  We’ll just have to see how it goes on this surface.
Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

w

Connecting to %s