Now the cat has a second layer of clay. As you can see, I’ve built out the nose and muzzle, added thicker eyelids top and bottom, and filled out the cheeks. It doesn’t show in this photo but I also filled out the back of the head. It’s just a matter of looking at a real cat and adding blobs of clay corresponding to the large muscles in the face. There’s more to do tomorrow, but that may be the last of the clay work on the head.
I now know that this is a girl and I need to find a good name for her. And I also need to nail down what time period she’s living in. I want her to wear a long dress and a hooded cape and be carrying a lantern. Perhaps early nineteenth century will be good. So I could research Jane Austen or the Bronte sisters for names.
How to make the lantern is a puzzle. I’d like to have it light up, so I’m thinking of starting with a small glass bottle and building the lantern around that with a tiny battery-operated light inside. I found – and ordered – some small amber bottles that has been frosted by ocean action last night on Etsy. I’m thinking that the amber color along with the frost will give a nice glow and also disguise the tiny LED inside. Then today I noticed that I have a nail polish bottle that’s the right size and shape so I may practice with that.