With this reindeer, I took a few photos along the way. I started the same was as with the one I posted a few days ago – an armature made from paper covered florist wire then a pipe cleaner on the head and body, and a twisted rusted wire set of antlers.
The next step was to do the initial wraps. On the legs I used the wool I would finish with – the legs are sufficiently thin that they only get one wrap. For the body and head I used off white core wool. At this stage, all I’ve done is wrap roving.
To finish building the form, I used a combination of wrapping and adding small shapes. I added larger bean shaped pieces of core wool to either side of the body, then wrapped tightly with a wide, thin length of roving to cover those seams. I added a rectangle for the chest and another for the shoulder bumps. So far, it’s all been core wool.
But then I added rectangles to build up the upper arms and legs, using the finish wool this time.
Next, I attached the antlers by wrapping the wire ends tightly under the chin. They get covered with wool as I finish the head and face and that’s what keeps them in place.
Here’s the finished reindeer. After making five, I’m getting the process down and am thinking of offerring a little workshop here locally. I love these guys!