Here’s the end wall with the bay window. And here, also, you can see that the roof will be thatched. I looked on-line for photos of 16th century English cottages and they are breathtakingly beautiful, especially the detail work on the thatched roofs.
Now it’s time to begin the shepherdess’s cottage – a truly big job! I began by constructing the cottage from cardboard, then took it apart to use each piece as a pattern. That’s when I ran into the first problem. I had ordered the clay a few months ago but hadn’t unwrapped it from its shipping box. When I did, I found that the plastic bag around the clay wasn’t sealed – so the clay was hard! Workable, but very stiff. And that made it difficult to roll out these large pieces with just a rolling pin (my low tech slab roller). The back of the building is about 14″ x 11″, so you can guess at the effort of rolling that out.
(As an aside, I’m thinking of keeping the pattern for a possible gingerbread house.)
Since this house is bigger that the other ones I’ve made, I have an opportunity to do more with it, and an example would be the window. The cut-outs will go in behind the windows once the four walls are up.