I added the beginnings of a background and painted another layer on the dog. I continued to use Raw Sienna, but with a bit of Burnt Umber, Raw Umber, and black.
I’m still uncertain where the edges will be. I’m trying to paint something than can be fit into a 5×7 card format, but I find that to be a difficult shape – too tall relative to its width.
In general, I’m happy with it, but the ear, especially, needs more work. I’m uncertain from the photograph how the ear is folding. I haven’t been able to duplicate the look in the eye from the photo, but I like these eyes. I think I need to continue with the dog and then figure out where I want to go with the background. And I think I need to paint down further on the chest – which is a problem because in the photo the chest is covered with someone’s hand. I’ll have to make it up. Yikes!