This is a small painting- maybe 4″ tall. I did it for the focal point of a polymer clay wall piece along the lines of the one I did in Laurie Mika’s class (post from last month) but not so glitzy. Actually, I will scan the painting then make an archival print and use the print for the piece. The portion I will use will be smaller than what you see. I’ve decided to hold on to the original and maybe frame it. It may also form the basis for Christmas cards.
I began with pencil on Strathmore Mixed Media paper. Then I added light washes of watercolor, gradually darkening the color with additional washes. I got the background (no spruce branches yet) the darkness I wanted it to be in the end, but left the deer a bit lighter than I envisioned the finished piece. Then I turned to acrylic ink and a crow quill pen. I used Black, Sepia, Burnt Umber and a bit of Burnt Sienna. Then I returned to the watercolor washes and deepened the color and added the spruce branches.
My final steps were to add a bit of white fur with acrylic ink and dot in the few snow flakes with white acrylic gouache. I like the colors.