For many weeks now – maybe longer – I’ve been working on relatively small scope projects, something that I’ll finish in 4 to 6 hours. And I’m feeling a need to worked on some larger, more complicated, more detailed, and just, in general “more” projects. So here’s the result of about a week into my first one.
Meet the “Lady of the Lake” – my interpretation of a seminal character from the great Arthurian legend. At this point, I’ve finished needle felting the otter, creating the base, and attaching her to it.
The base is a piece of gourd that I painted. I coated it with clear gesso so that the paint would stick but also reveal the beauty of the gourd surface in unpainted areas. There are 1/4″ thick bolts glued with two-part epoxy to the armature that allow me to connect her to (or remove her from the base). Quite an engineering feat, I think, but wish I had thought of it sooner in the process – next time!
So, the remaining elements are her costume, the dragonfly that has alit on her paw, and two frogs ar her base. Onward!!!
Here’s my current group of sculptures drying in the kiln and waiting to be bisque fired. I need several pieces for it to make financial sense to run the kiln and, to tell the truth, I could fit a second layer, but I’m OK with going with it at this point.
With this batch I’ve started a new regimen of letting the pieces dry in the kiln. I’ve found that when I let them dry outside the kiln and then transfer them they’re prone to breakage as a dry piece is so much more fragile than a wet one. So I’m hoping this will work well for me.